Martha Hooker

#5371, b. 10 March 1621, d. after 1673
Father*Thomas Hooker b. c 1592, d. b 1633
Mother*Mary Pritchard b. c 1593
     Martha Hooker was baptized on 10 March 1621 St Martin in the Fields, Westminster, England; Martha fa Thome et Marie.1 She was the daughter of Thomas Hooker and Mary Pritchard. Martha and (--?--) Gregory were married.2 Martha Hooker died after 1673 , as she is mentioned in her aunt Mary (Ghest) Hooker's will.2
     Her married name was Gregory.2

The Tennis Court
The tennis court in St. James's Field was built between 1617 and 1619 by Gedeon Lozer. Lozer built the court and a dwelling house on a piece of ground in the south-west corner of the field which measured 140 feet along St. James's Street and 80 feet along the old highway (B on fig. 58). (PRO, LR1/56,f.226) The court itself measured 100 feet by 35 feet; it was built of brick, covered and paved with tiles, and on its east side was a lean-to or walk. (PRO, E317/Midd.42) In 1631 a reversionary lease of this property was granted to Thomas Hooker, keeper of the tennis court. (Cal. S.P.Dom. 1625-6, p. 577) By 1663 Hooker's lease had passed to Martha Barker, who in that year sub-let part of the house and the tennis court to Robert Havercampe, 'with the Curtaines and nets thereunto belonging together with the benefitt of the Rackets, balls, sockes and shoes belonging to the game of Tennis there exercised', and freedom to appoint 'the markers for the use of such as should play in the said Court'. (PRO, C9/31/67) When Pall Mall street was laid out along its present course the tennis court was left standing and projecting across the western end of the street; it was eventually pulled down about 1679 (see page 323).

from p 323:

Two such buildings were the old tennis court and the house attached to it (see page 25), which must have almost blocked the west end of the new street (B on fig. 58), and in 1664 the commissioners notified Martha Barker, the then owner of the Crown lease, that they 'thought fitt to have it [the tennis court] taken down to enlarge the said way'. She was offered £230 as compensation but was unwilling to accept, and her under-tenant, Robert Havercampe, claimed that satisfaction should be offered to him, as he had already lost custom to the value of a hundred pounds through rumours of the impending demolition of the court. (ref. 11) The tennis court was eventually cleared away in or before 1679, thus opening up the west end of Pall Mall. (PRO LRRO63/14, p. 72)
From: 'The Bailiwick of St. James', Survey of London: volumes 29 and 30: St James Westminster, Part 1 (1960), pp. 21-28.
URL: tennis. Date accessed: 28 June 2008.

Child of Martha and (--?--)

Last Edited=24 Feb 2014


  1. [S317] J V Kitto, compiler, The Register of St Martin-in-the-Fields, London 1619-1636 (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Harleian Society, Genealogical Society of Utah, 1936), p 17.
  2. [S518] Mary (Ghest) Hooker will (23 March 1674), Will of Mary Hooker, Widow of Saint Martin in the Fields, Middlesex Bunce Quire Numbers: 1-53, Prob 11/344, The British National Archives, Public Records Office, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU, England.