Henry Clay

#408, b. 19 September 1736, d. 17 January 1820
Father*Henry Clay b. 1710/11, d. c 1764
Mother*Lucy Green b. 19 Jul 1717, d. b 22 Oct 1764
     Henry Clay was born on 19 September 1736 Cumberland County, Virginia. He was the son of Henry Clay and Lucy Green. Henry Clay married Rachel Povall, daughter of Richard Povall and (--?--) (--?--), 9 April 1753 Cumberland County, Virginia.1,2 Henry Clay died 17 January 1820 , Bourbon County, Kentucky at age 83 and was buried Clay Bedford Cemetery, near Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky.
     ( Dr Henry Clay.)

Dr. Henry Clay's Station

Dr. Henry Clay, who fathered one of three separate though related branches of Clays in the county, came to Bourbon County in 1787. He is reported to have built a stockade in the Clintonville District in 1787 then a stone house the following year (Grimes 1935). No primary sources were located for this information. His land entries include a 400-acre and a 1000-acre preemption on the Stoner Fork of Licking River (BrookesSmith 1976:37, Virginia Survey Book 1, p. 373). This tract is located, according to entry, 200 yards northwest of McMullen's Spring and includes a portion of the main Stoner channel. Henry Clay assigned this tract to Samuel Clay in 1783 and the patent was issued in 1784. McMullen's Spring is near where the Harrod's Creek Road crosses Stoner Creek. Henry Clay's reported stockade or station would not have been located on this tract since he transferred it to Samuel Clay three years before he permanently settled in Kentucky.

The stone house he built in 1788 (designated 15Bb77) is, still standing. It is located along a farm road which runs southwest from Winchester Road opposite the juncture of Winchester and Spears Mill roads (Figure IV-7 and IV-8). The L & N railroad track runs immediately southwest of the site. The Clay cemetery is north of the house. Henry and his wife, Rachel, are buried there along with other family members. Henry died in 1824, at the age of 84; Rachel was 81 when she died in 1820. Henry Clay Jr. inherited the house. An H. Clay is listed in the approximate location on the 1877 Beers and Lanagan map.

Grimes (1935) did not indicate if the station was built on the same location as the stone house. No trace of a log structure or foundations were found around the stone house although pasture coverage made surface survey difficult. The house, known locally as "the Fort", is a small structure of one-and-one-half stories with interior end chimneys. The lower floor has two rooms and stairs in the northeast corner lead up to a second floor. A frame shed with a brick chimney is a recent addition on the east side of the house. The front of the house faces west. Two windows pierce the west wall on the first floor. An irregular depression on the south end of the house is suggestive of another possible addition but no door is present to connect it to the stone house without having to come outside. Very little modification has been done to the stone section. The structure was being used to store hay at the time of survey.

Since Dr. Clay's stone house was not located on his land grant, he must have acquired his tract by purchase. In checking early deeds, a land transfer for 200 acres between Henry Clay, Sr. and Benjamin Bedford was found which coincides with the stone house location. Dated February 20, 1793, the deed was for 200 acres on which Henry Clay was then living, on the waters of Green Creek. The land was adjacent to James Parberry, a Bruce, and another Clay (Bourbon County Deed Book B, p. 333).

Time constraints, very dense grass cover and extremely hard, dried out soil rendered shovel probing impractical. The ground around the structure appears little disturbed and archaeological remains are probable although their density and character are unverified. However, the site is deemed worthy of further consideration.3

He has been assigned DAR Record Number A022844 for Patriotic Service to the nation by furnishing supplies to the army: Abercrombie & Slatten, VA Rev Public Claims, V 1, pg 225..

Children of Henry and Rachel

Last Edited=18 Jan 2017
Reference=III

Citations

  1. [S63] Jordan R, et. al. Dodd, Early American Marriages: Virginia to 1800 (Bountiful, UT: Precision Indexing Publishers, n.d.), from Ancestry.com, April 9, 1753, Henry Clay son of Henry Clay, & Rachel Povall.
    Bond given by John Netherland and Richard Povall.
  2. [S181] William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine (Richmond, VA: Whitney & Shepperson, Printer), "Cumberland County Marriage Bonds" William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Magazine, Vol. 20, No. 1.
    (Jul., 1911), pp. 21-30.

  3. [S378] Nancy O'Malley, Stockading Up, A Study of Pioneer Stations in the Inner Bluegrass Region of Kentucky (Lexington, Kentucky: University of Kentucky, 1887, 1994), pp. 52, 55.